A bamboo pillow is no longer a strange item to any people as this type of pillow itself has become quite popular in the market.
In case you do not know, a bamboo pillow is an eco-friendly pillow which is made with bamboo-based fibers cover and shredded memory foam inside for a comfortable sleep. Nowadays, more and more people choose these pillows because of their wonderful benefits.
Bamboo pillows are naturally hypoallergenic, so they are suitable for those with allergies. In addition, they are designed to suit any of your sleeping styles and bring comfort to your neck and head. With light, breathable, and delicate materials, bamboo pillows will be a great choice for hot or warm climates, especially summer nights.
Is It Possible To Wash A Bamboo Pillow?
Sure, you can totally wash a bamboo pillow like every other sleep product. But first, you should read and follow all manufacturer instructions on the label. Following care instruction is extremely important because no bamboo pillow type is like another. And while one can be cleaned in a certain way, it is the opposite for the others.
Don’t wash the memory foam by washing machine
However, you shouldn’t put a bamboo pillow, especially memory foam in a washing machine under any circumstances.
Your washing machine may feature a gentle cycle or even a hand wash function, but do not let that tempt you. No memory foam can survive a washing machine. Instead, make the effort to wash your pillows by hand to retain their shape. It will not take you too much time for this.
How to Wash a Bamboo Pillow Properly?
Actually, washing a bamboo pillow is not difficult as many people think. And it seems to be easier for pillow cover washing. Depending on the brand of your bamboo pillow, you can choose to wash your pillow cover by machine or hand. But remember to wash the memory foam part manually to help it last for a long time.
If your bamboo pillow is not washed in a proper way, you may spend more money to purchase a new one. Carefully clean your pillow by following these easy steps.
What To Prepare?
- Delicate or gentle detergent (that doesn’t contain bleach) and lukewarm water.
- A washbasin or a sink (which is big enough for your pillow).
- A pillow drying rack is recommended (it will be useful to help maintain the pillow shape while drying out).
Step 1: Washing And Drying Pillow Cover by Washing Machine
- Remove the cover and put it into the washing machine with a gentle cycle (It is important to use water at a moderate temperature, not too cold or hot to wash the bamboo pillow cover)
- Place the pillow into a dryer on a gentle cycle, but it is best to air-dry it. You can simply hang your pillow cover on the drying rack for natural drying.
Step 2: Hand Washing the Memory Foam
- Put a little delicate or mild detergent in the sink of lukewarm water. Stir until everything is blended using your hands.
- Keep the water between 30-40 degrees C to ensure that you don’t ruin the memory foam.
- Let the memory foam soak in the liquid. And squeeze it so that the whole bamboo pillow can be cleaned properly.
- Do not add too much detergent because it would be hard for you to rinse the foam properly.
Step 3: Soaking
- Keep the bamboo pillow to soak for about 15 minutes.
- Give a small push during this process.
- Do not keep the pillow underwater over 20 minutes.
Step 4: Rinsing the Pillow Thoroughly
- Use fresh and warm water to rinse the memory foam until no more detergent or soap remains.
- Use your hand to gently press or squeeze the pillow to push out the soap inside.
- Rinse the pillow several times to make sure that all the detergent and water is removed.
Step 5: Hang The Pillow Up for Natural Drying
- Let the pillow dry completely in the indirect-sunlight (Like washing machine, drying machine can be harmful to the memory foam when it is set on a high temperature mode)
- Using a drying rack hanger to help fluff the pillow and keep its shape. It is easy to buy this item in the supermarket.
Hang up the pillow & pillowcase in the indirect-sunlight
- Do not expose the pillow under the sun for too long after it is all dried. This can ruin the pillow.
- Make sure that the whole memory foam is dry completely before using it. Wet memory foam can be a perfect breeding environment for bacteria
How To Fluff A Bamboo Pillow After Washing?
Fluffing your bamboo pillows should be done by yourself regularly. In particular, you should do this each morning or every evening before going to bed to give it a slight toss.
Many people are concerned that their bamboo pillow will be flattened after washing. Therefore, it is necessary to fluff the pillow right after this process. As we know, a bamboo pillow may contain the heavier material inside, so you might want to spend a few extra seconds getting the shredded memory foam well separated.
Fluff bamboo pillows regularly to maintain its shape
First of all, you should give your bamboo pillow a good shake for a few times. This action will help shreds to spread out and allow more air in between each piece of foam.
When your pillow is well shaken up, turn on sides and give it some slight pumps to go extra miles.
Finally, use your both hands to push off each short end vigorously and then pull back a few times. These movements will allow the pillow to fully expand.
Every few months, bring your bamboo pillows outside and hang them on a drying rack or lay them on a table under the sun. You should keep it there about 3 to 4 hours to make sure that the sun dries out all the moisture. Don’t forget to flip them every hour and fluff them several times.
Additional Care Tips
- Choose a bamboo pillow that is best for you, whether it is the filling or the size. And pick up medium-height pillows or pillows with a contour for more support.
- Buy more than one bamboo pillow. You can turn to these after you have washed your favorite.
- Wash the bamboo pillow at least twice a year.
- Always keep a clean pillow cover on it. But remember to wash your pillow cover every week.
- After washing or unboxing, it may take some time for your pillow to adjust to the expected comfortable position.
- Each pillow should come with its own care and washing instructions on the label.
- Put your bamboo pillow on the floor when you make your bed. The pillow can get dirty.
- Let your pet sleep on your pillow. Their fur can get on the pillow and trigger your allergy.
- Sleep on a worn-out and old bamboo pillow. Change to a new pillow immediately when it has the following signs.
When Do You Need To Replace Your Bamboo Pillow?
Like your toothbrush (which should be replaced every three to four months) or your mattress (which should be replaced every eight to ten years), pillows also need renewing regularly to ensure your health and comfort. However when is the right time to replace yours?
For a normal pillow, it should be replaced every year. However, this can be extended to 3 years in the case of bamboo pillows. If yours does not get better after being tended as instructions, you should consider buying a new one. Or simply if you cannot properly remember how long you have used it, it is probably time to replace.
How To Choose A Suitable Bamboo Pillow For Your Sleeping Styles?
To have the best sleep, it is important to choose a bamboo pillow that meets your comfort needs and matches your sleeping style.
Back sleepers: We generally recommend a classic-shaped bamboo pillow to provide stable support for your neck and head.
Side sleepers: It will be more comfortable on a contour-shaped bamboo pillow. This type of pillow will provide cushioning for the space between your head and neck.
Front sleepers: A memory foam pillow should be the first choice to fit your position and provide suitable support for your spine.
After washing, your bamboo pillow will look like a new one. To help the bamboo pillows be more durable, it would be best to wash them at least twice or three times a year. Maintaining a clean pillow will help you have a better sleep. More importantly, people with allergies, lung and asthma problems can have an easier time falling asleep once they get a good-at-new pillow.
By following the steps above and the care instructions given on the manufacturer’s label, these bamboo pillows will give you many years of service.
Now, it is time for you to practice on your own. Or if you are still wondering whether you should buy one or not, get one now!
We wish you a great experience with a bamboo pillow!