As children, many of us experienced the searing pain of an infected ear. We cried to our parents and were sent home from school, told to rest in bed and get better. For most of us, ear pain became a less common occurrence as we grew older. However, there are many individuals out there who continue to suffer from chronic, uncomfortable ear pain.
In some instances, ear pain can only be solved with ear surgery – not a popular option, for many reasons. However, it may not be necessary to resort to these drastic measures. For some people suffering from pain in their ear canal, the simple action of swapping out their pillow for one designed to relieve ear pressure will do the trick. If you’ve found yourself reading this article, it’s likely that you’re experiencing chronic pain in your ear area and are searching for relief. You may find yourself wondering “what pillows are best at relieving pain from the ear?”
Rest assured, we’re here to help.
We’ve done the work and put together a list of the best pillows for ear pain; use it to find the pillow that will help you sleep with less pain.
Pillow Comparison Table
Top 4 Best Pillows for Ear Pain
- Cover: bamboo
- Fill: CertiPur-US certified memory foam
- Texture: firm
- Warranty: 5-year warranty and 100-day satisfaction guarantee
First on our list of pillows for ear pain is the PureComfort Ear Pain Relief Pillow. This design caters specifically to the average side sleeper – each indentation is basically an “ear hole,” meant to alleviate the ear pressure associated with traditional pillows. Because this pillow is specifically constructed to support side sleepers, it’s a perfect pillow for neck pain relief as well. Its memory foam texture provides additional support for those who need a firmer level of support.
This pillow is odorless and maintains its shape even after continuous use. The cover is made with ultra-breathable bamboo which is machine washable and resistant to dust mites. It’s also hypoallergenic, free of lead, heavy metals, mercury, and other dangerous ingredients. And because it’s CertiPUR-US certified, you can rest assured knowing it’s made of the highest-quality memory foam available.
It’s also fully customizable. This pillow comes with height inserts that allow users to fine-tune their level of support.
- Includes an “ear hole” on both sides, perfect for side sleepers
- Supports all sleep positions
- Hypoallergenic and mildew, mold and dust mite resistant
- Made with CertiPUR-US certified memory foam
- Relieves pain and supports the head and neck
- Machine washable
- The few low-star reviews on Amazon mention that this pillow is too firm for some users.
- Side sleepers and anyone else looking for the best pillow which with an ear hole option
- Cover: Rose and Hubble cotton
- Fill: Hypoallergenic hollow-fiber
- Texture: Adjustable
- Warranty: No
As the name probably revealed, The Original Pillow for Ear Pain and CNH with a Hole is, well, the original pillow for ear pain. This pillow comes all the way from England, with thousands of users touting its ability to reduce their chronic ear pain. Unlike some pillows, with holes on just one side, this pillow is designed with an ear hole on bothsides, allowing its users to flip the pillow over as necessary, meaning you’ll always keep cool.
This pillow comes encased in a luxurious Rose and Hubble cotton cover and is filled with hypoallergenic hollow-fiber. It’s a bit softer than traditional pillows, and is designed to lay atop another pillow on its user’s bed. Each pillow also comes with additional stuffing, so users can adjust its level of firmness to their exact needs. The cotton filling is cooler and less dense than traditional memory foam pillows, yet still provide enough support for side sleepers and those suffering from neck pain.
The double-sided ear hole makes this pillow perfect for anyone recovering from ear surgery, and the hollow-fiber fill makes it a great option for users who tend to suffer from allergies.
- Designed to complement the average side sleeper
- Alleviates neck pressure
- Dermatologist recommended
- Double-sided ear hole
- Some users felt that the filling flattened too easily.
- Side sleepers and those suffering from chronic ear or neck pain.
- Cover: Cotton
- Fill: Microfiber
- Texture: Adjustable from medium to firm
- Warranty: 30-day satisfaction guarantee
Third on our list of ear pillows is the Nature’s Guest Adjustable Pillow. Praised by consumers, orthopedic doctors, and chiropractors alike, this pillow is truly a jack-of-all-trades. This pillow is designed specifically to support both back and side sleepers by offering premium neck support. The contoured center of this pillow allows users to switch their sleep positions throughout the night without compromising comfort. Users can move from their back to their side without putting extra pressure on their neck or ears.
The pillow’s dual zipper design offers users the ability to adjust its firmness to meet their needs. The cover is made with 233 thread count cotton that is hypoallergenic and machine washable, meaning it’ll always feel fresh and clean.
While this pillow doesn’t come with a warranty, it does come with a 30-day money back guarantee. If you don’t love it after 30 days, you can return the pillow for a refund.
- Gusseted edge which relieves neck pain associated with side sleeping
- Hypoallergenic cover and filling
- Adjustable firmness
- Relieves ear pressure
- Some users found that the zippers on the pillow were rather fragile and broke easily.
- Anyone who can’t tell if they’re truly a back or side sleeper. This pillow is designed to let you move easily from one position to the other without any added pressure to your neck or spine.
- Cover: 50% cotton, 50% polyester
- Fill: Virgin polyester fiber
- Texture: Extremely firm
- Warranty: No
The fourth pillow on our list is The Core Products D-Core Ear Pain Pillow. This pillow helps its users by protecting the ears from discomfort and pain while also correcting the alignment of the spine. It acts as a cervical pillow, fitting the natural curvature of the upper spine and neck, making it perfect for both back and side sleepers. In fact, it’s one of the best pillows for neck discomfort available.
Its unique D shape helps relieve neck spasms, snoring, arthritis, and tension headaches, all while reducing pressure on the side of the face and ear areas.
The pillow is filled with 100% non-allergic virgin polyester fiber and is extremely firm. The manufacturer notes that this pillow might take some time to get used to; because it’s designed to realign your spine and readjust your posture, early overuse might actually increase neck discomfort in some users. If you suffer from chronic neck or orthopedic pain, it might be beneficial to consult with a doctor before using this pillow.
The cover is made of a breathable poly-cotton blend, and the pillow itself comes in different sizes based on the height and overall needs of each user.
- Perfect for relieving neck pressure
- Offers orthopedic alignment
- Breathable and soft
- Fits in a standard pillowcase
- This pillow is extremely firm. Orthopedic correction can take some getting used to, so it’s important that users take the time to adjust the pillow their specific needs and stop use if pressure or pain persists.
- Side sleepers looking to alleviate pressure to their neck, back, shoulders, and spine, as well as anyone else searching for a pillow that will help correct their posture.
Ear pain is notorious for interrupting regular sleep. The chronic annoyance leaves its victims tired and lethargic in addition to the pain it causes. Relief, however, can be as simple as changing out the pillows on your bed.
However, when it comes to finding the best pillow for ear pain, the choices can be innumerable. Every brand will claim that its pillows are “the best” pillows; because of this, it can be difficult to identify which “best pillow” is truly the best pillow for you.
Each of the pillows on this list is designed to relieve pressure to users’ ear area, providing them with an enhanced level of comfort that will allow them to sleep pain-free. Whether you’re an adult dealing with chronic ear issues, or if you have a child suffering from a pierced ear or annoying ear infection, one of these pillows will help relieve you of some of your pain.